This is the motto of the lessons at the Bundeshandelsakademie (BHAK) für Führung und Sicherheit (Federal Commercial College for Leadership and Security), a school unique in Austria.
The "BHAK für Führung und Sicherheit" started school on 2 September 2019 on the campus of the Military Academy. About 50 students are admitted per year. Half of the places are allocated to pupils in full care (boarding school), i.e. they are admitted to the dormitory. The costs for full care amount to approx. € 400.- per month and include accommodation, meals and partly school and teaching materials.
The aim of the school is to educate graduates,
- who can act as security managers,
- who can identify and understand current economic and security policy challenges
- who, after further training, can operate in the field of blue-light organisations and public safety,
- know the concepts for safety and security in the fields of risk, emergency, crisis and safety management and be able to participate in their creation
- who can find their way around in an international environment and understand foreign cultures, are trained in dealing with physical and psychological stress
- and are qualified to exercise a higher commercial profession in the field of safety and security management.
The apprenticeship lasts five years and ends with the a-levels.
The objectives are achieved by closely linking the school with the commercial, business and safety/security management sectors. In addition to the regular lessons, a training emphasis is placed on personal leadership skills, general leadership pedagogy, security managers and cyber security, coordination and stamina as well as physical and mental performance (sport), which are offered in a way appropriate to the age of the students. Great importance is attached to practical relevance and preparation for actual working life.
"In the core area we are a business school", says headmaster Manfred Weigert. "But we also offer our pupils two additional focal points that are independent of the school: leadership and security. Two topics that are currently of great importance and will play an even greater role in our society in the future."
Other main focuses of the school are the expansion of language skills - in addition to English and French, Russian is also offered - and sports.